PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is it on BA Mixed Fleet, are you enjoying it?
Old 4th Jun 2011, 13:22
prism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem Young Paul. I have just re read the thread and Count's statement was inaccurate and can understand why people were misled. Normal practice is for the CSD and one of the Pilots to be the last to leave the aircraft and walk with the Passenger Agent to the top of the air bridge and the door is closed behind them. This trial is being interpreted as BA reducing the need for ground staff to meet the aircraft but it isn't. A typical arrival for longhaul would see 6 or 7 WCHR's being required a couple of UM's and several MAAS; so there will always be a need for ground agents to meet the aircraft out of BA's Duty of Care to our customers.

You raise a very good point about the 'green issues' of commuting. Worldwide crew that commute in general are however part-time and have long blocks of time off after their run of trips, staying with family and friends during their working block. Perhaps 2 flights per month as opposed to 20 trips round the M25 - I dont know how that compares. Similarly many of our pilot colleagues try and consolidate their flying work into a few weeks so they can have a large chunk of time at home overseas and for many ensure it helps with child care and their wifes/partners part-time block. You can see why the 'staff travel' issue was so sensitive during the IA as people were having to pay normal ticket prices to get to and from work. I do however take your point about carbon foot printing. Upgrades are sadly a thing of the past and CSD's risk their jobs now if they do not have commercial reasons for upgrading. CSD's have the authority to upgrade for commercial / customer issues and the Captain is the only one who can authorise an upgrade outside of this.

As I said we as a Company recruited overseas to get the professional customer service language speakers most with university degrees and marketed ourselves accordingly. Naturally they want to live in their own country's where their families are. Having lived in the UK and also commuted I can honestly say I am more rested pre flight commuting in rather than having sat in traffic on the M25 for several hours.

There are also some new MF crew who are hoping to do the same once they master the bid and are eligable for staff travel.

Last edited by prism; 4th Jun 2011 at 14:09.