PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 21:31
NukeHunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RFD,

Nice first post. I'm in a very similar boat, mid 30's mortgage etc. Started my PPL in 2005 when things were looking good, finished training in 2008, modular part time. Finished just after the downturn started, but was too far into it to give up.

2.5 years, and 2 renewals down the line and not even a sniff. A few PFO emails but that's it. I also come with over 10 years aviation experience working on the ground in Ops/Dispatch and a few contacts, but even this hasn't helped push my CV up and over the 20+y/o wannabe's with no experience who still do seem to be getting the odd job here and there. Part of me is now starting to think that the airlines are actually ageist in some way.

I just don't understand the rush for the 20y/o's to want to jump into a jet and push buttons and gaze out of the window for the rest of their careers, when they are young and free enough to go do some interesting and exciting flying first. I'd love to go off to Susi Air in Indonesia or to Maun in Botswana to so some bush flying but for US$200 per month I simply cannot afford to do it with bills to pay back here.

As I changed my career direction to be focused on flying rather than on the ground, I've stepped aside in my current role and allowed those who's career is based solely on the ground to move up and get promoted over me as I was hoping to have left my current job by now. However I'm now starting to think this might have been a bad move and maybe I should have just gone for the promotions anyway just in case I never get a flying job. Maybe I should stop thinking of others first and stuff them as nobody is moving aside for me to get a flying job and actually go for a promotion next time it comes up but that isn't me. I've never been that selfish, and I've actually used my own experience to help others get ahead, just wish Karma would come my way some time soon and help me out for a change !!.