PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Travel in Europe without passport?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:40
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread; here’s my two-penneth. I’ve spent 50 plus years in aviation in various different capacities and, for the latter 30+, amassed a lot of international travel as a passenger on commercial flights, on a GD as crew sometimes on pretty long ferry flights and also as a coordinator on large aircraft VIP flights and a load master on private cargo flights. A lot of my travel has been to what may be considered ‘difficult’ locations. I’ve certainly experienced some challenging moments but always avoided being thrown in the pokey. Here is my advice ...

Don’t look towards the bottom of the list to see what might be acceptable. As a start, if you are going to be involved in aviation and likely to travel (for business or recreation), get a passport and keep it valid, never mind those you tell you it should not be necessary, DO IT. Keep all other ancillary ID’s and similar documents valid and available (the more the merrier). Always maintain a creative mind; my status as ‘crew’ on a ferry/delivery flight was once questioned but the matter quickly resolved by production of an FAA Aircraft Dispatchers Licence (mostly I suspect due to it looking very similar to an FAA Pilots Licence). Always remain calm and polite. In simple terms BE PREPARED and do not pay too much attention to what the minimum requirements are, aim high; overkill is better in the long run. Enjoy your travels; I wish I was young again

Last edited by Q-RTF-X; 23rd May 2011 at 12:13.