PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:13
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offshore ops......

It was ever so. The rot set it in the '70s when the UK government accepted that quasi-military standards of operations were acceptable in pursuit of the national interest. They are not my words they are the words of the head of the CAA in 1978.

It has been a struggle ever since but to give the UK oil industry it's due many of the safety related research and subsequent developments were financed by them and frequently were miles ahead of the legislation. HUMS, Suits, HUET, Rebreathers to name but a few.

The rest of the world could have looked at the mistakes we made in the North Sea and progressed straight to the 'right answer' but many chose the way of profit rather than safety and I look to the FAA as being the major guilty party. They are learning now but about 25 years too late for many.

How do you justify an organisation that has a dual remit to both encourage and regulate Commercial Aviation. The conflicts of interest must be enormous.

As for having my ass saved by my back-seat crew I would say it goes with the territory, that's why we are a 'crew' and not a collection of individuals. Unfortunately, having worked with CAs in the North Sea, Greenland, Scillies, Brunei and Spain it has to be said that good as they are they are different animals to the Winch Op/Winchman you get in a SAR crew and I mean that in a complimentary way to both groups. I have reason to appreciate them all.

G.