PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 18:27
mauntown08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all as many above have said before I sympathise with your situation, however surely you must have known that this was a possibility when you started your training?

I am not having a go, but with any research done prior to starting your training, the possibility of not getting employed becomes glaringly obvious. I know that everyone thinks "I am different" and "I will go that extra mile and get employed" but really? I just wish that wannabes would heed the warning signs.

Don't get me wrong I did exactly the same thing, kept telling myself that I would be different. I spent a year working up to 90 hours a week in 3 different non aviation jobs, after getting my little blue book, in order to afford to head to financially free myself to head to Africa, found a job and spent over 2 years bush flying. I have since moved on and 4 years after completing my licence I am still in GA, but I'm working on my 3rd continent, have over 2000 hours, earning more than most of those newbies flying in the right hand seat of a shiny jet.

Am I happy? Yes.
Do I want to get into something bigger? Yes but at the moment I am just happy to have a job.
I never understood the rush to get into the right hand seat of a jet. I have learnt a lot in the last 3 years, I have experienced things most people never do, and I am a much better pilot for it.

With your financial situation I would suggest thinking outside the box. Spend some time in GA, maybe even see the world...