PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataract
Thread: Cataract
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2011, 13:45
Flopt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'Day SS,

As a general rule most ophthalmologists will only operate on one eye at a time , so usually a minimum of a week apart if both eyes need to be done.

Quite often the 'engineering ' of sight is so good these days that they can get you back to 6/6 or better unaided [20/20 in USA terms]...and for class1 you need no worse than 6/9 in either eye [the next line up], and 6/6 minimum with both eyes.

Sometimes you may even be able to pass the near requirement without glasses but this is a bit of a fluke.

If it turns out that you do need glasses to meet the distance requirement then the doctor's advice is usually wait four weeks , as the spectacle prescription is more likely to 'drift' off the mark , if they are ordered before this [as the tiny wound heals] and cost you more money prematurely for updated spectacles.

You may well be able to pass the Class1 two weeks later but I wouldn't bet my life on it...many do however I'm sure ...that's just luck.

Fortunately it's just about the safest operation you can have these days ,and it must be getting easier as a very high proportion of doctors these days are getting excellent results.

Ten years ago you had to be carefull to pick the right doctor as botched eyes were not uncommon.

Best of luck ....I am sure you will be amazed at how much better and safer your vision is especially in low light.

Cheers

Flopt

CPL , Optometrist, CASA Designated Aviation Eye Examiner.

PS I've just noticed your location , so PM me if you have any doubts about your proposed ophthalmologist...I probably am familiar with his work or I can find out.

Last edited by Flopt; 16th May 2011 at 14:04.