PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you have a choice at your airline - Airbus or Boeing?
Old 14th May 2011, 09:06
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 777 has a "back drive" system to move both Yokes together and thus represent a conventional Aircraft.

The benefits of this feature should be obvious for all to see but perhaps only Captains see it the clearest!!
The fact that I can immediately feel and see what my FO is doing at all times of the flight but especially in the Flare ( and Rotation ) is bloody good, but on the Airbus I'm totally at the wim of my FO. ( remembering it's still me that will 100% wear the can if he stuffs up ) On the AB below 100' as we enter the flare it's too late for me to take over and if I do it will probably just make things worse!!
On the Boeing I can simply "assist" him on the Yoke and know what's going on. ( Yes, there could be times that even on the Boeing I wouldn't be able to help )

Same goes for the Autothrust not moving on the AB, it works against me not knowing what the system is doing at all times instinctively.( as in the Boeing )

With regards to the mini groundspeed function of the AB Autothrust system, it can and does cause a "de-stabilized" approach with the Thrust moving back towards idle at low levels in an attempt to reduce toward VLS. If you don't watch yourself ( or indeed watch your FO ) this can cause a total cluster f*** approaching the flare when the Trim freezes at 100'. It's not un common for a hard landing ( or a long floater ) to result in this "out of sync situation"

So, on the AB the Pilot is forced into being more conscious of the actual N1 at all times because you can't rely on just seeing where the levers are any more.
The Pilot needs to be more conscious of what the other Pilot is doing on the Sidestick and what the Aircraft is doing in response to his inputs. Especially in inclement weather situations. As a Captain I am more reluctant to let the FO do the Landing in inclement weather for just the reasons above. Whereas in the Boeing I felt much more confident in my ability to "help him along" should the situation arise.

Having said all of that the system must work as thousands of Airbus land safely each and every day, it's just not a Pilot's Aircraft, more a computer game.

Now don't get me stared on the ECAM. It's not even close to being as good as the EICAS/Elec checklist on the 777. ( and now the 787, 748 )

Last edited by nitpicker330; 14th May 2011 at 09:32.