PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 08:36
Wilton Shagpile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left my career back in 2003 join the airlines and was one of the few that were lucky enough to finish just at the right time. On the whole I enjoy it but it's definately right that there are lots of other good and interesting careers out there that offer a better lifestyle, more money and much, much higher levels of security.

I guess aviation is like climbing a mountain. You know it's there, you see it all the time and you're desperate to climb it. Once you do it's now a case of "it was nice up there and I'm glad I've done it but I've no longer got the urge to do it again." And therein lies the problem...you can't really be objective about the career until you've been there.

Personally I like the comradeship, I like working on my own with a small crew and not battling over meaningless issues with an army of mediocre back-stabbing corporate colleagues. I like being left alone to do my job and I LOVE the fact that once I'm off duty after my week, I can pack away my uniform and flight bag and not think about work for a few days. To be honest I also kind of like the status (sad I know but it is always a job that people respond positively to) and I'll never grow tired of looking out the window on a nice day.

However, the long days, pressurisation cycles, lack of breaks, dry air, noisy flightdeck, insidious pressure, delays, lack of support from service providers etc. etc. does take its toll. Not always, but it can make the job frustrating. Still, grass greener etc.

If you're waiting for a job...be patient. If it's meant for you it'll come to you. Try and keep current above all. My company has hired new people and I'm pretty sure all of them were in current flying practice when they were interviewed. Tough I know, but try. Good luck.