PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Conflict of Wings' airfield filming locations
Old 7th May 2011, 11:46
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I found this on 't Interweb 4 years ago, posted by 'flip1408' on the Britmovie website:

Conflict of Wings

I was at RAF Leconfield in the early 50's when the airfield shots were taken. The aircraft used were the Meteor 7 & the Vampire T11 Trainer. I was in one of the T11's as armourer. We did several 'circuits and bumps' with the cameras rolling. I very nearly made a mess all over the cockpit, but did just manage to contain myself. The film team were on site for a few days and we had to carry on working as normal whilst the filming was being done.

I made a very brief appearance as I crossed the set with a bomb trolley train, so still have a copy of the film on VHS.

Flip.
Many of the other shots were taken in Ludham, Wells-next-the-sea and Hickling Broad.

However, I've also seen claims that RAF Langham was the aerodrome used for filming..... There was a CAACU flying Vampire T11s at Langham around that period; however, others claim that it was filmed at RAF West Raynham.

Langham would certainly seem more logical, but perhaps the truth is that several aerodromes were used? The Lincoln seen in one shot would be much more likely to have been seen at Leconfiield though, as CGS used them for air gunner training.