PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2011, 20:47
Darwen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
735 SU RAF Gutersloh

Just seen your thread, the unit was located by a few redundant Lightnings at the end of the airfield. I was based at this unit from 1982 to 1985 and lived on Leipzig Strasse, next to the Scnellie, pub and ice cream parlour, in Blankenhagen.
The unit was 735 su and had 2 bases, one at Gutersloh, which was the permanent base with a couple of cabins, a mobile ops room and an RTS2 short range radar sitting on a 30 ft tower.
The 2nd was at a German Luftwaffe site named Auenhausen, based out on the Teutenberger? range, some 60 miles away. We operated a mobile RTS2 and a couple of old Boufers gun platforms that had been modified to simulate an old Russian J Band jammer. We also used them to lock onto, both by manual and Radar, Tornado, A10, Starfighter and F111 aircraft if we locked for more than 15 seconds they were 'dead'!
In 1984, we moved from Auenhausen to Borgholzhausen permanentley, carrying out the same bomb plot and acquisition role.
I think the main site at Gutersloh closed in the late 80's, I have been out of the RAF for 16 years now and that posting was by far the best in my service. I also worked at 735 mrbssu, which was also called Tumby Bomb plot, and this was my 2nd best posting.