PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2011, 17:17
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can highly recommend 'Wild Blue' by Chick Childerhose, on his experiences flying Sabres in the '50s. Out of print for ages but the funniest book I've ever read. Beg, borrow or steal a copy.
There's one bit where he's doing survival training, and he's somewhat older and more backwoodsy than his fellow trainee fighter pilots. When the instructor comes back after a week to see how they're doing, the others are in bashers and he's built a cabin, complete with shaded porch swing, dining table, etc. It's perfect. They are ALL told to 'improve' their shelters. He builds a 'leisure device', consisting of a horizontal jar suspended at just below waist height. It's got vaseline in it which can be warmed to blood heat. He's even fur-lined the outside. He becomes the only person to ever fail Survival, Summer Bush. Apparently you can take course titles too literally.
There's lots of excellent flying tales too.

'Fate is the Hunter' by Ernest K Gann is a must-read. I've actually used some techniques from this book whilst flying over the Greenland icecap in a Cessna 152. I'm probably still alive as a consequence.
Also, 'Voyager' by Dick Rutan and Jeanna Yeager. Has Dick's military background as the high-time F-100 pilot in Vietnam, along with the story of the non-stop flight around the world.
Have to plug 'Sagitarius Rising' by Cecil Lewis as well. You can re-read this book throughout your life and there's always a new angle.