PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 19:11
bearfoil

If Svarin is correct, and he makes excellent proofs, the Cabin Speed advisory, if it involved depressurization, would have been the signal of a more or less vertical descent. There is great resistance to this theory, but I have considered how an a/c can make an impact with the water in the way BEA describes. (I think they are substantially correct). It unfortunately makes En Ligne de Vol an absurdity.

With little forward speed, how do wings remain roughly level in rapid descent??

Angular momentum. At upset, the wing tanks were close to full, and fuel was being drawn from inner wing tanks, to observe the traditional practice of keeping the wings heavy as long as possible. Even the Aft HS Trim tank would be full, to squeeze fuel efficiency from an aft cg (In limits, of course). The wings would be the heavy parts of a four part pinwheel, and remain level (roughly) because of their relative mass. I believe this would alleviate any successful attempt by the nose or Tail to wobble the system into tumbling.

Tail low, one wing slightly low, (per BEA), the system contacted the water.
It did not contact nose into wind, and if the VS was still on the tail, this system would not have achieved any stability, it would have tumbled at one third revolution into its first lateral excursion, (At altitude).

This involves a fairly rapid lateral rotation, and of course is fatal to a "Nose First" aspect at water entry.

Part 2 of this thread continues Here