PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 15:31
bearfoil

BOAC

Rolls of course does "Total Care", an ambitious real time engine monitoring program for those carriers who have selected it as part of leasing power from Rolls. I have seen a vid that showed a "control center" where many dozens of people were monitoring their engines on wing while various clients were flying.

It is not inexpensive, one is certain, however the application could certainly be modified to apply to other flight parameters, especially in long haul, or ETOPS??

slats

There was a long discussion re: Captain duBois and his actions, possibly to include the time of the accident. I recall that FC rest is directly behind the cockpit, and Starboard? Also, Captain launched and climbed to cruise in the first hour, then took his planned rest, RP sliding into the LS. At 0200, Captain's rest period was over, he should have either been in the cockpit, or a little late, on his way. We think he was unrestrained because of his later recovery in the water. There are many potential theories, but I believe he would have re-assumed command from his own chair, the RP then replacing F/O in RS and the original RS would rest. There is much potential for chilling theory, for it is astonishing to me at least that this happened at all, and one has to believe that it had to have taken a devilishly and star crossed sequence to upset and destroy this flight.