PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2011, 23:22
bearfoil

mm43

bonjour. The VS was semi submerged when spotted, its colors probably difficult to discern. The structure gave me the impression of never being 'proud' of the surface, and I assumed it acted as its own sea anchor from loss to discovery. BEA stated that the Rudder was flapping, and had no resistance to pressure in its axis of sweep. I do not think it "sailed" at all. I can not remember its position when found, but was it not WNW of LKP a fair bit? Does this not conflict with your winds from 000 at ~25-30 ??

I also conclude the VS did not sink with other structure, to break free and surface on its own. It would have had to retain some air in pockets, and at 50 meters, it would have experienced permanent rib collapse, no?

Permit me a display of ignorance or inattention, (both?) but the LKP at 02:10, is that actual, timed transmission stamp, or receipt by ACARS??

My feeling is twofold, and I cannot blame BEA and/or ABI/AF. No one involved who had a stake in this accident wanted to believe that this sota a/c fell out of the sky, steeply, especially having lost some bits. I think their bias to 40 nm away or further reflects some wishful thinking on their part. Understandable.