PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2011, 12:08
Ops_Room_Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survey

L-Bulbs.

I took a look at the link to your survey, not intending to fill it in - just to look. I then decided, why not, I will fill it in.

However after 2-3 questions I stopped for two reasons.

Questions like this cannot be answered without the context and also the employee’s background; both of which are missing.

For example,
An employee repeatedly ignores a work colleague when approached on issues not related to work
. On the face of it this seems quite minor and also it's non work related. However if the context was that the work colleague was their line manager and the employee was ignoring them when they were simply asking after their welfare, such as how are your family? etc it puts it in a slightly different field as far as I am concerned. Not dismissal material, but certainly worthy of a chat and possible warning about attitude and conduct as it would seem to be an indicator of some other problem.

However if it were two colleagues working together and one was trying to get on with their work whilst the other was continually trying to engage them in chit, chat about issues outside work that was stopping them achieve their roles within the company, this is entirely different.

Also as I read on and on it was clear that there was an objective to these questions as they get more and more specific and include more and more detail which could be considered subjective (certainly seems to be telling the 'facts' from the opinion of the dismissed employee, rather than the company) therefore I feel I am being led to answer in a certain way, because that is the way the facts are being presented. However I am old enough and have been a union rep and manager long enough to know when I am being led.

You could ask a question ' an employee was repeatedly asked by their supervisor NOT to open the door to let in fresh air, despite this fact the employee did open the door but only a few inches and only for 30 seconds.
No Action
Verbal Warning
Written Warning
Written Warning with Sanction
Dismissal

However, if you omit the fact that the employee was cabin crew, the supervisor their CSD and the door in question on the aircraft which was at FL350.....I am sure it would be a different outcome.

I suggest you let these questions be answered by the independent review board, as they will/should see all the facts and evidence (direct and indirect). The employee will give their version one way, the company another way - somewhere in-between lies the truth.