PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 07:44
straightin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never say never

Sorry to hear about your situation. You have my sympathy and understanding. Well as a lot of other posters have already suggested, I would suggest you to take some time off to allow yourself to see all this from a different point of view. A long time ago I found myself in the same situation. Money was over and I had no interview. I have given up flying for more than 15 years. Got an aerospace engineering degree and a desk job. I felt happy and satisfied for many years but...well that was not the end of the story. Three years ago I got my airline pilot job. Less money and unsocial hours, but big fun, with the extra benefit of a very solid and safe backup job if for whichever reason in the future I will be grounded (medical problem or an airline bankruptcy, etc). No debts, the lady is happy and myself too. I am much more relaxed than most of my colleagues in the cockpit who surely have more hours and flight experience than me, but with their licence as the sole and unique earning source. To cut the long story short, this is my suggestion. If you temporarily give up flying and revert to a "normal" job qualification, in the future this will turn to be your strongest point in the unreliable airline job market. Nobody knows what might happen in the while, never say never!