PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2011, 21:31
Entaxei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elements

Whilst it appears on the surface that things could be coming to a reasonable negotiated close, the elements of this whole situation need to be considered .....

BASSA - about 10 months ago, (seems longer), I challenged DH on this thread under his troll identity of 'Safety Affairs' regarding his sitting back and taking the money without caring about BA or the CC. His response was as long as some of the membership fees carried on coming in, nothing else mattered and nothing else would or could be changed and he was happy with this situation. I can't help feeling that this basic attitude has'nt changed.

If this is so, granted that nobody appears to have any form of a copy of BASSA regulations and that post 1997, when the last financial kerfuffle blew up with the previous GS, the regulations were formally changed, presumably during an AGM, such that more power appears to have been given to the committee and GS and, subsequent AGM's changed still more, such that now DH probably has sole capability of agreeing a dispute, regardless of any reps. (probably cannot have new ones voted in as committe meetings cannot now be held during a dispute, LenMc beginning March, stated 18 had been sacked and 70 suspended - so can't be many left!). I won't even go near the potential implications of lack of accounts/records and the new company BASSA Limited.

Then BASSA became a 'Branch' of Unite, but in view of the powers that BASSA appear to hold over and above a normal branch, refusing agreed offers, calling for a strike and listing dates, this argues that the agreement entered into with Unite was a 'special' edition, but again it seems unlikely that a copy is/will be available for members to view. However as BASSA still have ten points outstanding, there is room for DH to refuse once more to agree any solution that LenMc agrees and again demand/issue a strike call.

In the meantime 'long live the New King' so LenMc is busy changing his organisation/committee to reflect his current and future strategies, he still wants to try and settle this, it would be a 'Win', but against the overall union position against the UK govt., probably has limited resource available, but Malone has appeared.

CC89/Amicus appears to be a different setup again, now backed by the SWP, they will go along with DH in muddying the waters to ensure that no agreement is reached, but note that the reasons are never identical with BASSA, this allows them to still hold out if BASSA ever agree. However maybe LenMc could squash them reasonably easy, but has anyone ever seen their agreement with Unite?, SWP rational appears as usual to be political control.

Enough already!! - Apologies for the length, when I started typing it all seemed so straight forward - but then the corkscrew got in the way!! - does anyone agree with the above?

Last edited by Entaxei; 16th Apr 2011 at 22:06. Reason: Spell 'casting'