PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: Operations
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 18:26
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
incorrect application of collective, pulled up inadvertently when applying parking brake
Most definitely not the first time on the S92 (or many other types). I know of at least a couple of other similar incidents on the S92, although they were considerably more benign than this incident, but largely due to luck and good fortune. Procedures in place have in a large part prevented it happening again, whereby the co-pilot is required to cover the collective at the same time as the captain pulls the parking brake lever. This was certainly my immediate assumption of the cause when i first heard of it, so I am not surprised if this is confirmed. Perhaps new procedures or a modification or two is required. Even with good procedures in place it can still happen. Distraction, stress, tiredness, unusual or unexpected situations arise and the procedure is easily omitted, and mistakes are made. Just confirms the old theory that if "**** can happen, at some point, it will". It could probably happen to any one of us given the right set of circumstances. Perhaps a simple guarded brake lever would help, or moving the brake lever altogether.