PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Contact one", any one else say that?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 11:33
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I'm missing the point. I just take 'roger' from A/G as reassurance that my call was transmitted on frequency. It is a reply I might expect (if any) to 'ready for departure'

For Example:

Example Radio, 123.450, G-XXXX, radio check and airfield information for departure

G-XX reading you five, runway in use 07, right hand circuit, QNH 1001

reading you five also, 07 right hand circuit, QNH 1001

The above is a direct communication to the A/G operator, I expect certain information as the reply.

Next call:

G-XX taxi to hold 07

Here I might expect no reply from A/G, it's information to other pilots that I'm going to taxi to hold for runway 07. The A/G may reply 'Roger' I simply take that as meaning 'we heard and understood your last transmission'. Hopefully then so did everyone else on frequency.

I arrive at the holding area, carry out my power checks and pre-take off checks. At this time pilots on final can see me, they might be wondering is that aircraft about to line up?

At the end of the checks I scan the approach path and call:

G-XX Ready for Departure

The pilot on final who I didn't see now knows I'm ready to depart and is warned.

A/G may or may not respond 'roger' which means nothing more to me than the A/G Operator heard and understood my transmission. It was not actually for their benefit in any case, but hey I like our A/G operators so they can say 'roger' if they like. If they don't it doesn't matter much.

If they reply 'I have a spaniel dog' it conveys exactly the same information, but 'roger' is shorter and better R/T