PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Contact one", any one else say that?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2011, 16:12
CruiseAttitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should not need to say 'taking-off' or 'rolling' because you checked the final approach path right?
I think a 'Rolling' or 'Taking Off' call is useful. If I am making a crosswind join at the time that another aircraft is taking off there could be a potential conflict as I would be passing directly overhead the inactive threshold at circuit height. I would want to know if the aircraft on the runway is about to start its takeoff roll or whether it will hold its position until I am clear and have turned downwind.

Lining up and starting the take off roll are two separate things. I know that ideally at an A/G field you will only line up when you are ready for take off and it is clear to do so i.e. nothing on final, however ive had a couple of occasions when I have already lined up and then I hear over the radio that an a/c is joining crosswind, in which case I would hold until it has passed. In this case, I advise over the radio that I will hold until the other aircraft has passed, then radio 'rolling/taking off' when I start the run.

At the end of the day at an A/G field, we the pilots are responsible for separation, so surely the more precise the information about our intentions the better. The 'Taking Off' phrase is specified in CAP413 after all.

Calling airbourne is useful too I agree e.g. G-CD airborne runway 21, climbing through xxxx for xxxx on xxxx, heading xxx.