PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:11
TheShadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toughen up Princesses

Message Recounts Fatigue Flying in Early Morning Hours

In an e-mail to pilots, the airline’s chief pilot for Perth, Australia, Jetstar operations, claims he is tired throughout a back-of-the-clock (midnight to 6 a.m. flight) but not fatigued. The captain for the airline admonished his fellow pilots, “Toughen up, princesses!”

The 7 January 2011 e-mail was made public at a hearing into aviation training standards by the Australian Senate. “It’s hugely concerning that we have pilots telling each other to ‘toughen up princesses’ because they raise concerns about lengthy shift hours and the impact that could have on the safety of passengers,” Senator Nick Xenophon said in a statement.

JetStar CEO Bruce Buchanan was not aware of the memorandum, to which Xenophon declared, “The potential intimidation in this e-mail is alarming and indicates that there may be a bullying culture among pilots.”

This accusation seems a stretch. If the Perth base was closed and pilots shifted to Melbourne, much of the back-of-the-clock (BOC) flying would be eliminated, to be sure. At the same time, pilots residing at in Perth would be faced with the expense of moving base (and family) to Melbourne.

It should be noted that pilots of cargo airplanes do most of their flying BOC to meet early-morning package delivery schedules.

The senior captain’s e-mail provides evidence that people are not a sound judge of their fatigue – a point made by many sleep researchers. The sleep science community argues that shift workers should be assigned schedules that avoid the effects of fatigue, as people are poor judges of their own impairment.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has unsuccessfully wrestled with the problem of pilot fatigue. In May 1988 the FAA issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) that proposed new regulations to combat pilot fatigue. The NPRM was a response to a National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) “Most Wanted” recommendation to update the rules for scheduling based on the science of fatigue research. Over 310 pages of solicited comments were received to the NPRM, but the FAA was unable to reconcile differing views and withdrew the NPRM in November 2009. There has been no regulatory action since, and the NTSB has characterized the FAA response as “unacceptable.” Relatives of the victims of the last fatal US airliner crash in Buffalo NY are anticipating that sweeping new laws just won’t make it past both Houses. Many Congressmen are concerned about the economic effect such grass-roots change would have upon the airlines and so the lobbying for the status quo ante is intense. The impact of preventing pilots from commuting long distances by air and road to fly their flights would hamstring airline schedulers. It’s presently manageable, even when weather intervenes. Throwing another manning spanner in the works would guarantee crewing mayhem both in the short and medium term. As is often the case, one fix can beget another rupture elsewhere. Even the majority of pilots can themselves argue for a “let sleeping dogs lie” solution. The extent of the lawmaker’s thorny problem can be seen indepth at Pilot fatigue bill stalls in Congress

The JQ Senior Pilot’s email merely encapsulates a similar dilemma. Pilots must play ball or face undefined career consequences for being disruptive. Suppression of fatigue via the fear factor is no solution. But bursting into e-print on the subject is also no doubt destined to distort one’s career path. Fatigue remains the great unspoken. Better that one should claim to be “tired and emotional” (a popular euphemism for hung-over). At least Senior Pilots will appreciate that you didn’t want to run the risk of getting breathalysed planeside - and will endorse your staying away as a wise decision. However just being “tired” is apparently no excuse…. and evinces a certain shameful lack of stamina (and a deficiency of the “right stuff”).

Below, the “toughen up” e-mail in all its colorful glory:

RE: DPS-SIN-PER-MEL-PER Pairing
[Flight schedule from Denpasar, Singapore, Perth, Melbourne and back to Perth]

Sent: Friday, January 7, 2011, 1:15 AM

This e-mail comes with a warning! If you are easily offended then delete this e-mail and read no further.

Toughen up princesses!

You aren’t fatigued, you are tired and can’t be bothered going to work.

The hardest thing about doing [flight] JQ117 backed up by the BOC [back of the clock, e.g. from midnight to 6 a.m.] is the time away from the family. There is ample time for rest if you utilize it correctly. I understand this is easy to say but sacrifices have to be made. We are all shift workers and that doesn’t always fit in with normal life. If you became an airline pilot thinking that you will be home every night and not have to fly through the night, then that is pretty naive. Might be time to go instructing.

I agree that the current BOC is a horror shift, but let’s look at the big picture. JQ [JetStar] now has about 50 odd airplanes. Airplanes don’t make money sitting on the tarmac, they need to keep flying. I have no idea how it works obtaining [airport] slots but I’m sure JQ can’t just have flights going to where they want, when they want. There must only be certain slots available which scheduling must then somehow work out how to fill. This current BOC is a combination of 2 MEL shifts which we have been given to fill a gap until further international routes, or domestic, become available. There is a high probability that we will only be doing this shift until mid year (fingers crossed!).

Now the powers to that be could have used this as a perfect opportunity to down-size the base, or even close it. But it shows that JQ is committed to the base and want it to work. Having said that, if I was Bruce and a bunch of pilots, who have taken a lot of days off, only fly 60-75 hours a month, started to call in ‘fatigued’ and didn’t want those days to come out of personal leave days, then I would start to look at other options. If flights started to be cancelled, then I would not hesitate in closing the base and have all flying done from MEL. Be careful of what you wish for!

In the last 4 weeks I have done 7 BOCs, 2 lots of back to back and one after JG117. I personally found the back to back the hardest and after JQ117 no dramas. By trial and error, I have worked out what works for me so I can manage the shift. I can say I hate the shift and I definitely don’t operate to my normal standard. I am tired throughout the shift, feel terrible, but would not call it fatigued.

All I ask is that you give the BOC flying a go and do everything that you can to make sure you are rested before the duty. If you honestly believe you can’t operate safely, not just because you feel terrible, then call in UFD [unfit for duty]. But it is UNFIT FOR DUTY! I can’t see how it can not be taken from your personal leave. I don’t see how it can be right that if you couldn’t get enough rest, for whatever reason, call in UFD then get a free day off. In the mean time I get called in off a standby. If I then refuse the duty I will be in all sorts of trouble. JQ rosters the required rest, you must use it but if still unfit for duty, then you are unfit for duty which needs to come out of your sick leave.

We have it pretty easy over here. Try Darwin for a while with 4 BOCs in a row, or MEL with 4 earlies followed by a late and while doing 100 hours. Then tell me how hard it is to do JQ117 followed by the BOC. I will warn you again, don’t be surprised to see more pairings of double BOCs! Again, be careful of what you wish for.

By the way, to steal a line from a classic [movie, Top Gun],

“I’ve been holding on too tight.” I have thrown in my Base Pilot wings, effective from Feb. I tell you now because I don’t want you to think I’m running from all the flak I’m about to receive. Give me your best shot!

I have written this not from a Base Pilot role, but from a pilot who hasn’t lost touch with reality and who wants this Perth base to work.

Cheers.