PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contract agency rants and Kudos, Vietman, Korean, Asiana, Rishworth
Old 7th Apr 2011, 03:18
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contract agency rants and Kudos, Vietman, Korean, Asiana, Rishworth

I started this thread to reopen discussion about the different contract agencies operating in Asia. Vietnam, Korean Air, and Asiana. I believe they have the most expats, and have for a long time. Choosing the right agency is extremely important. When you are 12K km from home, and your paycheck doesn't show up, and your agency is also 12k km from home, things can get pretty painful.

Good or bad. Let er rip. I have had both experiences.

I worked for Vietnam Airlines with Rishworth as the contract agent. It turned out to be a nightmare agency-wise, and I left a contract job I liked early as a result. I had many associates there, from Rishworth, Parc, and DPI. I don't know much about DPI as there were new there. I did watch Parc guys have issues with VAC, and the issue was usually fixed within 24 hours. The same exact issues, at the same exact time with Rishworth, and the phone calls and email's went unanswered.

VAC was trying to impose paycuts on all pilots the whole time I was there. Parc fought. Because they fought, VAC stopped recruiting from them for a long time. It cost Parc money, but they stood up for their pilots, and all pilots at VAC from all agencies benefited from that.

The government of Vietnam tried to impose very harsh visa restrictions on all expats, not just pilots. Families members would have to leave the country and re-enter the country every 30 days. Parc alone fought this and I, as an Rishworth pilot, was CC'ed by Parc the whole time - thanks Parc.

In the end the visa situation ended up being better that it was in the beginning.

After it was over, we all got an email from Rishworth saying, "we heard there is an issue with visas for pilots and their families, and Vietnam Airlines said they are going to work on it."

In the end, Rishworth decided to breach all contracts and reduce all of our pay, without our consent. Their contracts are so hideous that after reading it I realized the only two courses of action were to accept it, or quit. So i quit.

I now work for Parc on a contract in China, and am extremely happy with my contract service.