PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Future MPA
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 11:58
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duncan D'Sorderlee: I still can't see the point in having an MPA that can also be a tanker. If it can carry extra fuel, it can stay on-task longer; if it is refuelling attack assets, it is not doing its ASuW task - it would likely be in the wrong place, in the wrong configuration, at the wrong height, with the wrong priorities.
But it can do both, that's what it all about. Sometimes it uses the fuel itself, sometimes it transfer to other assetts, improving the mission effectiveness.
I think it is not revolutionary at all.

Related news: Navy orders Thales lightweight multi-role missiles for Lynx Wildcat.

They ordered 1000 of the lightweight multi-role missile (LMM)

Not to sink destroyers or submarines..

UK orders Thales lightweight multi-role missiles for Lynx Wildcat

Each LMM weighs 13kg (28lbs). Less then a tenth the weight of a Sea Skua. Talking about changing requirements..

It is the result of a new agreement with the UK Ministry of Defence "to re-role previously contracted budgets".

For me another sign rebuilding Nimrod/P3C capabilities by ordering a similar platform is the wrong track of thoughts, a zero chance business case.

"We didn't use to do it like that" is a dead end, as the Dutch naval air service also found out.

Last edited by keesje; 6th Apr 2011 at 14:42.