PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 06:42
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad fact is that striking doesn't work.

A flexible, adaptable workforce can share BOTH the successes and the pain during trying economic times.

Having flexible remuneration, such as bonuses and share schemes aligns the workforce much more closely with management, which is why BASSA did not accept such proposals in the past.

Calling a strike is more likely to result in increased demands for cost reductions (to pay for the costs incurred during unrest), lower salaries in the long term and more polarisation.

These negative outcomes actually play into the hands of Unions, as somewhat counter-intuitively, the worse your working conditions/pay/Industrial relations are, the more likely you are to think you need a strong Union, and empower your union to deliver more extreme activities.

In fact, if you add up the element of salary union members pay to unions (is it about £150/year?) and the huge cost employers bear for supporting Unions (Facilities Agreements/time off for meetings and other duties/the costs of other consultations) such numbers could often make the required efficiencies to ensure a pay rise or maintenance of current conditions without further disquiet. In some cases, as is happening with BASSA, unions can become saprophytic, and ultimately kill off the company which supports its members.

I believe those in lower paid, cyclical industries do need progressive, business focussed representation, but BASSA is not the right entity to support BA and its people. I am not certain there is enough evidence that PCCC is the right alternative, but it does seem to me that Unite needs to take its troublesome branch in hand and rid itself of this cancerous entity.