PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 01:22
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Have scanned through this post and apologise if these have already been recommended.

Best Foot Forward. Colin Hodgkinson. Has been some time since I read this but if memory serves, more of a truer picture of the inner battles that went on with those fighting daily. A double amputee but unlike Bader obviously scared ****less at times but carried on.

Arthur Blackburn VC.I had never had heard of this chap until the book, which I found absolutely fantastic. One of the ANZAC’s that made if further inland at Gallipoli than anyone else known. Through WWI with a VC and then established or helped establish the RSL in between wars. Back in for WWII. One of if not the only commander to actually hold up the Japanese advance, with a significantly smaller force, for which he received some “individual” treatment when he was their guest as they could not believe how he had achieved this.

Last Plane Out of Berlin by Jeffrey Watson. Sidney Cotton a unique individual, photographing the German build up whilst flying their senior bods around. Established the PRU by some back trading which did not make him many friends.