PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL annual flying hours question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 00:12
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by flybymike
Bollox. Surely 100 hours a year would be safer still. If they meet the requirements and pass the LPC /club check outs/ revalidation flights etc then let 'em fly. GA is being regulated out of existence as it is never mind sanctimonious pontification from those who can afford to fly more than others.
It's a viewpoint.

However, for many years I've flown in cheap syndicates at around £30-£40/hr, and I am not proposing a rule, just explaining my personal view. £1000/year will buy you 8 hours in a rental PA28, or 30 hours in a syndicate microlight - I'd always take the latter if that's my only choice, and I'd much rather share the circuit with somebody who flies more hours in a cheaper flying machine.

I've also been regularly disturbed by just how close to the edge of killing themselves and/or somebody else some of these 10hrs/yr pilots are, when I encounter them in the circuit, or am asked to assess them as possible syndicate members.

I'm also quite clear in my mind, as an above averagely experienced pilot, that if I'm flying less than a couple of hours per month, I'm getting dangerous. If with 1200 hours I'm like that, I'm unconvinced that a 150hr pilot is better off than I am. Worse, they often lack the judgment, which to be fair comes with experience, to realise how dangerous they are.

G