PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 16:09
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't trying to say that it is bush flying by any means, but what I was saying is that it is not landing on a flat paved surface.

I know pilots in the US who have never landed on grass or gravel.
I've seen many who have only ever landed no-flaps or power off for their check-ride - who rely on the machinery - and would be in deep trouble if they were in situations I've heard from some of my friends here.

Example, a guy's been grounded for 6 months because no visa, gets his visa, 3 circuits to be "qualified", carries 5 pax to a sand / gravel strip, complete electrical failure, 25 knot 90 degree cross wind, large puddle (it's all flooding here right now), the strip is about 10 m wide (30 feet) with soft sand on either side. Sure it's long, and it's not landing on a sand bar in a river, but it's certainly not landing at Van Nuys on 16R.

Another example, a guy picks up a plane after an engine rebuild, 5500 foot elevation, surrounded by mountains, that day it's 11,500 density altitude. Engine failure at about 1000 AGL. Sure it can happen anywhere, and this runway was paved, but there are only a few places where you get 10K density altitude every day.

And third, the runway in Swakopmund is paved. But it's full of potholes, so you can't use it, period. But planes fly in and out all the time (C210's), not on the runway, but on the soft sand along side (Swakop is surrounded by sand dunes - think Sahara Dessert)

Can a young pilot (in hours, not necessarily years) handle it? Of course, or it would not have been done this way for the past 30 years. We all get this kind of training, but very few pilots normally handle this.

Is it bush flying? No.

Is it harder than "normal" flying? Maybe. But it does require skills that are not utilized by the "normal" pilot on a regular basis.