PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF buying the F-35?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 02:55
Modern Elmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not develop a multi role version of the F-18, F-16, F-15

Those aircraft are and have been multi-role. As to the air-superiority-only F-22A, you see what happened: a short production run, and thereafter seldom seen, except maybe at air shows. I suppose there may be a multi-role F-22B some day.

The Typhoon's longer-term future if it remains in its present state of under-development? The F-22A example.

As to the RAF F-35, look at RAF - F-35 (Joint Strike Fighter). Is your Royal Air Force's web site out of date and incorrect?

... The JCA will place the RAF at the forefront of fighter technology and will give it a true multi-role air system that will surpass the majority of other weapons systems in production today ...

... The UK version will be a stealthy, multi-role, all-weather, day & night, fighter/attack air system aircraft that can operate from land bases and the next generation of aircraft carriers...

... Early production aircraft will be powered by a Pratt and Whitney F-135 turbofan engine,... Vertical lift and hover will be achieved by means of a Rolls-Royce developed lift-fan system. Doors installed above and below the vertical fan open as the fan powers up to provide vertical lift. This vertical lift is used in conjunction with the main engine exhaust nozzle at the rear of the aircraft, which swivels down from the horizontal to provide the required lift.

... The JCA will place the RAF at the forefront of fighter technology ( Faint praise there for Typhoon --Elmo ) and will give it a true multi-role air system that will surpass the majority of other weapons systems in production today, or envisaged in the foreseeable future. Coupled with the Typhoon aircraft, JCA will keep the RAF at the cutting edge of military aviation.

In real life, I've been summoned for jury duty tomorrow. If the accused person arouses my xenophobic emotions, I'll probably vote to convict 'em.

Good night, international friends.

Last edited by Modern Elmo; 28th Mar 2011 at 03:15.