PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 08:52
Stalins ugly Brother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadets are not the problem, I work with and are friends with cadets that have been through the QF cadet scheme and they are very competent operators. Not better, not worse, just very competent like most of us with experience in aviation.

The problems begin with cadet programs when unscrupulous execs see this as another way of cutting costs by bypassing experience, charging the cadet exorbitant fees and bonds and paying a pittance. And as I said before, you can bet that they will identify more cost savings in the training program over time until all the cadet will eventually graduate with is the minimum CPL and a basic endorsement. Which I am sure at a royal commission would be described by Dumb and Dumber as meeting "industry standards"

Airlines currently run on KPI's, and it is dangerous. Until this culture is finished with they cannot be trusted to govern there own safety standards. CASA, and the government for that matter, need to be stronger and not be seen as another employee on the payroll. Until such a time, airline minimum requirements for Aircrew must be considerably increased for the good of all traveling Australians.

Cost cutting and safety go hand in hand in aviation.