PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 18th Mar 2011, 17:31
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
clanger 32, I appreciate what you are trying to do but sadly, reality also kicks in.
(For me, all this talk of modular v integrated is all moot but any way)

You're 36, did an integrated course and as far as I can tell, not flying professionally. (Sorry about that, I am not having a go at you). So, now you (and others in a similar position) have a very expensive "blue book" that is not paying it's way.

If some one had to take a loan to do this integrated course, then they are really behind the pay/pension drag curve, especially as they near 40.

I am in that situation but for a different reason. I shifted countries at 35 and converted my Australian ATPL to a JAA one. I now pay into my pension per month what I used to earn gross flying freight in the UK.

One other factor is that some one straight out of school is not going to have upwards of £100K lying around, so they had to get the money from somewhere.
That needs to be factored in.

My 2 cents/pence for what it's worth.
I'll go with WWW, integrated for when the economy is recovering. Modular all the time.
However, I'll expand my thoughts. Integrated if all you want to do is fly an airliner. Modular for those who want options and flexibility.

Remember, easyJet and Ryanair have both forecast a slow down in their expansion.

Good luck to all of you, I wish we all had a crystal ball so we could make the right decision. What is the right decision for Bloke A, is not always the right decision for Bloke B.