PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europa XS monowheel
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 09:45
Ph1l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New PPL Europa Monowheel pilot

Hi All,

Ive seen this thread several times while looking into whether or not I should buy a share in the Europa Monowheel that i really wanted. To be able to go a good distance at a decent speed for a quarter of the hourly cost of hiring a 152 is extremely appealing and for a new PPL a great way to build hours, whether it be towards CPL or just to get experience and get flying.

I went for the Europa Monowheel as my first aircraft, with only a couple of hours post PPL in the schools 152s.

I found the conversion quite tricky and time consuming, partly as I have no experience with taildraggers or complex aircraft at all and partly due to the fact that there arent many instructors that are able to clear me on a Europa Monowheel and do the relevant complex and taildragger ratings, and of course the great British weather!

Already I have learnt so much from flying it, it is quite tricky to handle on the ground, but with proper instruction im doing ok with it. The tricky part is keeping it in a straight line - as part of my PPL training on a 152 I had to do very little rudder work at all, so most of my training has simply been learning to use the rudder properly.

Most of the first part of my training was on grass, so the tailwheel would slide quite a lot making the controls less sensitive, so when the tail is lifted (30-35 kts) there isnt too much of a change in directional control. When I then moved onto a hard surface I was all over the place (my instructor knew I would be but it was a neccesary step), it became so sensitive but after a few goes and an excellent instructor I got the hang of it and it gave me a better understanding of what the aircraft was doing. I could really feel the difference when the tailwheel came off the ground, it was easier to feel the differences if the wings werent kept level, which made the rudder work so much harder as the drag of the outriggers pulled the aircraft round and is one of the things I need to practice.

Some practice and a good instructor have given me a good start point on the Europa. I still have loads to learn, needs loads of practice, but I'm safely flying a Europa Monowheel having logged just 8 hours of training spread over several months and I have learnt so much more than I could have done in a 152. I will do further time with the instructor from time to time to help develop my skills, but for now Im going to stick to low winds and a crosswind of no more than 6 kts.

But for anyone thinking of getting a Europa Monowheel, do it! It is such a lovely aircraft to fly and is so cheap to run Im glad I decided to go for it and not wimp out hearing the horror stories. Just takes a sensible assement of conditions and I know from experience that it can get quite a long way out of shape before doing any harm, but if your that far out of shape the engine is so responsive you can just put in full power and go around again. Only thing I would say is get a good instructor (Nigel Willson, based at Earls Colne is excellent), and fly it as regularly as possible.

Other members of the sydicate who have considerable taildragger experience and many hours found the transition easier, but it is still quite a unique handling aircraft, so is still a lot to learn for any pilot.