PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legalities on using a camera during take off and landing
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 07:23
NZScion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Kiwi, you obviously have not experienced any inflight interference.

I have personally had my handheld GPS (remember - no tx, only rx) interfere with one particular comm set, making both my transmissions unreadable to others (as confirmed by atc), and also making me miss incoming transmissions (even with squelch off). Fortunately, my primary box continued to function normally, and after figuring the problem out, the secondary returned to normal once my GPS was switched off. Furthermore I have observed VOR flags associated with my cellphone use when on VFR flights. The shielding might be up to scratch in the aircraft you fly, but in some of the ****boxes I've flown I certainly wouldn't bet my life on it.

Soblena, I disagree, the primary concern of an accident investigation is to determine the circumstances and causes of accidents with a view to avoiding similar occurrences in future. Other information of interest may be gathered in the course of an investigation, however this is of ancillary importance. As kappa pointed out, the Jackson Hole overrun is an example of this. While I have not been able to access the actual preliminary report, the press releases I have seen only briefly mention the pax video - "Additionally, the team has examined security camera videos provided by the airport as well as a video of the landing taken by one of the passengers.", which suggests that whilst the video has been reviewed as a matter of course in the investigation (remembering that all potential sources of information are reviewed), the video is of minor value to the investigation overall. To insinuate that passengers recording landings is of benefit to accident investigations, puts them in jeopardy of breaking both the laws, and the company terms and conditions previously mentioned in this thread. As I have previously mentioned, if there were a tangible benefit to having video recording of the passenger cabin for accident investigators, then the cabins would have appropriately certified cameras mandated, not install some "nob-arse" in seat 7A.