PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC-12 vs. Turbo Commander
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 08:47
hum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apples and oranges

These are very different aircraft. I agree with SN3 both are good personal transport... but as you know there are significant differences you must consider:

A new PC12 will prob cost you $2 - 3m more than a late model dash 10 Commander with good avionics. However, you must accept that a complex 25+ year-old aircraft will cost more to maintain than a relatively simple new machine.

A Commander will do 300ts and if you have extra fuel option can have comfortable 1700nm range. I'm not familiar with PC12 performance but guess 240 kt ish cruise. Speed is everything to some people...

Commander has good short-field performance, but not as good ground clearance or rugged gear as PC12. I would not be comfortable operating a Commander regularly from Grass for example.

You can get sim training on the Commander but must travel to Flight Safety in Texas.

There are several Commanders operating in Europe and good engineering support is available. Air Plus in EDNY were recently appointed as a Commander Service centre; they are good.

PM me if you wd like to know more about operating a Commander in Europe.