PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2011, 12:47
Pitot Probe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Years as S/O??

1st: I normally don't even read these forums anymore. It is way too negative.

2nd: To all the current CX pilots delibarately shooting down the dreams of potential flyers because they only worry about their own jobs: shame on you!! If you cannot state facts in a professional manner and hate CX so much, then do us all a favour; leave.

That said, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems like CX has just decided to cut the S/O to F/O upgrades for this year by half!
This stems from the new rules coming into play allowing them to crew long haul flights with two S/Os.
For someone like me, that's been around 3 years, and was hoping to upgrade inside 4 years; it now looks like closer to 5 years as a S/O, with no further pay rise till upgrading!

I know that a lot of new joiners will see this as a mere blip in their career, but I do beleive that this should be weighed as a factor when making a decision to join CX. I am now reluctantly accepting the fact that it will take more than 13 years to become a captain (beleive me, that sucks!)

As for the new contract on offer for International Cadetts - I will only say this:
If you are young (<24) and single, you can possibly consider it. Get in, get to F/O and get out. (You can then restart in a company in your home country at around age 30, which is still possible to do)
If you are married or coming to HKG with a partner: forget it, this contract is just not for you.

I apologise if I am breaking my own rules and being too negative here, but I am trying to keep emotion out of it and provide facts only.

If anyone needs ANY information about moving to HKG, cost of living, available housing, prices, etc; please PM me, I will provide as much help as possible.

Regards
PP