PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 09:34
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sharon

I did not personally know Peter Manser as I think he left PNG before my arrival in 1963 or our paths didn't cross? He lived in the "stone houses" in Goroka in the 1950s and I believe I lived in the house he occupied some years earlier.

He worked for Bobby Gibbes as both accountant and later as pilot. In 1951 he pranged Auster VH-KSX at Dreikikir due to engine failure and on 21 March 1957, bent Junkers Ju52-3m VH-BUW at Wau after the port engined failed on take off.

I think Peter went across to Ansett-MAL when Ansett took over Gibbes Sepik Airways? I have a vague recollection he may have flown Ansett DC3s?

If you haven't already done so, you need to obtain Jim Sinclair's books "Sepik Pilot" and "Balus" Vol 1: The Early Years. You will find many references to Peter and photos of him in those two books. Bobby also mentions Peter in his autobiography "You Live But Once", but that book is almost impossible to obtain, although I have an autographed copy.

If you would like to contact Bobby Gibbes family, send me a PM and I will give you phone numbers and email addresses. Bobby's widow Jeanie and their two daughters still live in Sydney.

There are also a few Lapuns that post here who may remember Peter, especially if he few for Ansett-MAL. If you can locate them, I'm sure Jasper Masklyn and John Kessey would remember Peter.

Last edited by Torres; 19th Feb 2011 at 09:45.