PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS pilot fell asleep while co-pilot at the toilet
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:22
Magic90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JW411 hit the nail on the head from my experiences - on one of my very first operational missions covering Bosnia, I was so tired because of the hotel and a show time of 0100L that, I remember the CP calling 80Kts but could not manage to stay awake for V1 or VR...I will add at this juncture that I was mission crew NOT flt deck!

I was snoring so loudly that I failed to hear the CP release me for the "after takeoff and climb checks" (a walk around of the forward cabin once the airframe was 'clean'). My colleague picked up the duty and woke me up some 20 mins into the transit. Come to think of it I don't remember much of the 10 hrs that followed.

What I did learn from the experience was to be prepared and carry sufficient temazepam to see me through 3 weeks down route - a guaranteed 6-8 hours sleep! I still use it now as a PAX on long-haul flights - bed or no bed! This was also the detachment that I bust 120 hrs over a 21 day period.