PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:48
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Tightslot. Thank you for moderating this thread. All with a relatively lightish touch, except when we are just too silly, when extensive deleting of posts is to be encouraged.

Changing positions. You suggest that few have changed their positions. I believe that my views have changed, primarily through reading this and the CC threads.
I have maintained one consistent view - that Companies get the TUs that they deserve. Thus, I remain critical of BA "managers" at a variety of levels. BA generated bassa. It is reaping what it sowed in the past.

How on Earth BA let their "first line managers" - the CSDs become strike leaders is beyond me. That is probably the most stupid bit of non-management that I have ever heard.

My view on bassa has gone from being concerned that they were being lead astray by the power politics of Unite and the Labour Government to one of more or less complete contempt. I have worked very closely in the past with that power politics, and CC needed to know that the last people that the career unionists at HQ care about are their members, unless the member is buying a double at the bar.
My view on travelling with BA has changed from "never again" to one of a far more positive stance. I no longer fly much - my BA and SQ gold cards have long expired, but my last l/h flight was with BA, and my next one will also be with BA. That is due to GG, Betty, otter, et al, who let us know that most of their staff are decent and reasonable people.
I once thought this rather small dispute could be solved by negotiation. I have solved much bigger disputes in the past by negotiation.........with communists, with the EETPU, (er, not communists) and with all shades of politics.
I am now convinced that negotiation will not end this dispute. Woodley was the last chance. He's a good man, but he failed to move the bassa "leadership".