PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 16:14
Zippy Monster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and from my own experience of the company, and their members of staff, they do seem to actually care about their students.
The staff, on a personal level, yes. I can't remember any occasion from my time on the course where, if I had a problem, the door wouldn't be answered. I remember a few instructors in particular who took their students to heart and really cared about their progress. You, as a person, will be looked after by the staff and instructors.

However. I remember when I was out in NZ and there were a few delays to my flying towards the end of the course due to weather / occasional aircraft unserviceability / etc. Normal stuff. I asked my IFR instructor if I'd be given any priority during the next week over other training flights, given my departure date from NZ had already passed and I was due back in the UK for ATPL exams. (he was a standards instructor and had staff to train as well.) His response... "Remember, to this company, you are a great big walking pile of cash. It's in their interests."

And that's the key point. To the company, when you sign that contract, you are a great big walking pile of cash. CTC is not a charity. They look after you because most of the staff are nice (note, I said 'most') and also because they have a duty of care, especially in NZ where you're thousands of miles from home - and because if they don't, and something goes wrong, it might result in many more walking piles of cash walking elsewhere with their business. The staff care about you as a person; the company cares about how many numbers you can add to their bottom line. You are just another statistic on their spreadsheets. Literally, if you ever happen to peruse the company's accounts.

Speaking of cash... at this talk you attended on selection day, did they breach the subject of how long some people had to previously wait between finishing AQC and starting type rating, and how some have gone bankrupt? I was chatting to one Flexicrew pilot not so long ago who was having to borrow money off his sister to meet his repayments because his contract pay wouldn't cover it as well as his bills. It's nice to hear of the 'support' for the 757 guy, whatever exactly that entails, but once you take out that loan you're on your own money-wise - don't expect a great deal of help if you don't get a 'placement' and you end up with the bank banging your door down. And what about statistics regarding FULL TIME, PERMANENT employment as opposed to Flexicrew 'placements'? Did they give you anything on this?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty that's good about the course - the year in NZ, the quality of instruction (particularly the latter stages), the facilities, the general atmosphere, etc. You'll have a great time. But it's important to know the other, less-good bits and form a balanced opinion before you sign on the dotted line. Believe me, it's a mind-boggling, eye-watering amount of money, although it doesn't quite boggle your mind until it's time to start the repayments. You won't be thinking about it too much when you're enjoying the scenery doing a cross-country across NZ in a 172 with a mate on board, but you will be thinking about it very much once it's time to actually get a job, you receive the contract and do the maths.

If you decide it's for you - which you may well do - then good luck to you. Go in with your eyes open and you'll have a great time.