PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 08:11
Good Vibs

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Warri Kidnappings

Yes, I only mentioned Warri.
It seems that is was more active (village unrest) than PH at the time.
Thats why Shell moved most of their staff to PH as it was more secure. Ha, how times change.
But,yes, the expat 212 crew that got kidnapped in PH had a much harder time than the others. Both were threatened to be killed, were shoved around & beaten and had to watch animals having their throats cut as a warning!

Like I mentioned "Every Day Excitement!" at work.

They almost got me and my partner (red headed captain) flying for Shell Warri in Opuama.
They had it planned well and rushed out of the jungle towards the helicopter with knives, clubs and home made guns.
We just barley escaped since we had kept the rpm at 100%.
Unfortunately both Air Quartermasters (one trainee) stayed behind as they were too far off to make it to the a/c.
Boy, were the Kidnappers pissed off. They had waited many days in the rainy swamps for us to arrive. No food, no smokes, no fires (or everyone would know that they were there) and had many arguments as to "who's idea was this?
And than they didn't get us!
And something else...After 8 weeks on site I was due out on leave the next day...I had no time for such BS!

The Trainee Air Quartermaster was later on the aircraft that got kidnapped on the Swamp Queen. Two times in two months. I asked him later about his job and if he liked it or not..guess what his answer was!