PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:43
Golf-Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there's an army of 'enforcers' - like the TSA maybe ? who FORCE people to drink alcohol and therefore become addicted ? is there ? News to me.
I think there is a very strong drinking permissive culture in the UK. People get influenced by what they see on TV, advertisements. If an alcoholic beverage producer is allowed to sponsor key sporting events that speaks for itself.

So - maybe no one is in fact forcing anyone to drink - but people are pretty much encouraged to have a go at alcohol.

Let me give you a prime example - when I was at my first year of uni at London (ages ago) just about all the student induction events - including those staged at the various student dormitories - were organised under the theme of 'free drinks; free shots; shot of vodka just 1GBP' theme. During these parties - as can be expected of 18 year olds away from home for the first time in their lives - there were many cases of alcohol abuse and a lot of students got into trouble and faced quite dire consequences. Now in many other countries (and I have personal experience of two other European countries) it would be absolutely unacceptable for binge-drinking parties to be officially organised on a university campus.

As far as the pilot is concerned - of course he must be punished - that is neccessary as a deterrent to others and also to ensure the general public has confidence in the safety of flying. However - given how the flying profession is conducive to alcoholism (as many other highly stressing professions requiring people to spend significant amounts of time away from home and family are) - if the pilot's airline did not have a monitoring/support network in place he should be allowed to gain compensation from his employer for his loss of income. A substantial payout - to the benefit of the employee - will ensure that airlines will put appropriate procedures in place. It is easy to say - 'you are intoxicated you should not show up for the job' - but with the pressure of mortgages, loans and a family to support it is easier said than done. For a genuine alcoholic refraining from drink is a huge challenge, you cannot compare this to refraining from your favourite chocolate bar or a greasy hamburger.

If he was not an alcoholic, and this was merely a one-off - that is somewhat different. But I wonder - if you call in and say you cannot fly because you sprained your wrist at the hotel gym the previous night - will that be looked at in the same way as calling in and saying you cannot fly because you had a few drinks too many whilst watching the game at the hotel bar?

Golf-Sierra