PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:01
lpmunroh43

Oacs Candidates And Wanabees.

To all you young people hoping for a flying career in today's RAF. The doom and gloom of the current defence cut-backs is obviously having an effect on your potential flying careers.

However, while you're waiting, and it might be a lengthy wait or even never, have you thought about contacting your local Air Training Corps squadron or Wing HQ and asking if they need and adult assistance ?

They could be looking for officers, which means you could apply for a commission in the RAFVR(T) branch. Not for the faint hearted because it involves pitching up for duty after the normal working day a couple of times a week and often at weekends, plus various courses and cadet camps from time to time.

Initial officer training following successful selection is carried our at RAF Cranwell, giving you the chance to pick the brains of the regular officer cadets while learning at least the basics of life as an RAF officer. It would also look good on your CV should OACS at a later date give you a call.

I did exactly that in reverse following a 24 year career as an RAF armourer. At the age of 45 I became a very new, shiney Plt. Off. and six months later took command of one of the overseas squadrons of the ATC in Germany (Cold War Warrior) later becoming a Wing Staff Officer with added responsibilities.

From your point of view as young men with ambitions to serve in today's RAF, a little extra on your CV could be a great help. A DofE award, voluntary service as mentioned, it all shows motivation and adaptability beyond the educational qualifications required. During my 11 years service as an RAFVR(T) officer I knew of several incidences where a number of the younger officers successfully transfered to regular commissions.

As a Wing Staff Officer, I chaired a number of application boards for VR(T) commissions. Interviewing younger men and women, the board always looked for something beyond the applicants basic reason for applying. In this instance, what had he or she to offer a youth organisation beyond looking spick and span in uniform.

Just a thought from one of the ancient and tattered airmen on this site.