PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester's always wet runway?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 20:57
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I get to be a pain in the bum whenever I'm given duff gen. like a report of a wet runway when it's dry. There's nothing for it but to do the paperwork and let the culprits sort out out when it arrives. Arse covering Met reports should make you suspicious of every item of "information" you are given by ATC, so the question is "what did they say when you asked them?" But if you wanted to be really nasty you could always report "poor" braking action on arrival or on taxi out to match their "wet" runway.

And a little sideline to this. Many years ago I was regularly going into SOU and the two things that really irked me were 1. The wind was always varying and at least one of the directions always ended in a five and 2. No matter what the cloudbase, it was never CAVOK. A thermic cloudbase of 6,000' (rare I'll give you), blue sky or NSC, cloud would always be reported as something like FEW 043. Maybe it was shallow fog, drifting snow or plagues of frogs which stopped it being CAVOK?

PM