PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 24th Jan 2011, 16:11
just an observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BbB re your comment

Just an oberver - surely you can see that the unconditional return of staff travel is a corner stone to that.
I didn't suggest an unconditional return, I said on agreement or on 1 April 2011 (which is the start of a new annual leave year) by which I meant if agreement happens before that date. Sorry if that was not clear. Certainly there's no reason to return it while the dispute is in progress. Historically staff travel has been lost between strike and agreement.

In fact BA has returned it without seniority unconditionally, although it will presumably go again if they strike again.

I don't approve of removing staff travel as an anti strike tactic in general, and in this case I'm sure it's now hampering a settlement. Whether any who crossed the picket lines did so merely to keep staff travel we'll probably never know, but if it did gain any strike breakers at the start, it's losing the back to work votes now.

Unfortunately, even if BA were to make that offer, it's doubtful CC would be given the chance to vote on it without movement on anything else prior to the next walkout.

It may encourage more who went on strike the first time to strike break this time though. Waning support for the Union position would give Unite a lever to force BASSA into the real world and settle for what was on offer before, with the staff travel carrot.

Last edited by just an observer; 24th Jan 2011 at 16:23.