PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 12:59
meadowbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point about the US Army incident (my post on 20th Jan, above) is that a similar occurrence could have been the cause of the crash of ZD576. We'll never know, of course, but that's the whole point.

This US Army Chinook was examined thoroughly, along with the evidence of its crew, and no fault could be found, so it's hardly surprising that no evidence of technical malfunction was found in the wreckage of ZD576 - a fact that the Air Marshals used to point towards Gross Negligence. As the same cause cannot be ruled out, this finding cannot be safe and the pilots must be exonerated. Incidentally, as this UFCM was subsequent to the BofI for ZD576, I assume it could be considered by the MoD to be 'new evidence'?

Baston said:
To believe that some catastrophic event happened to the aircraft in VMC in the final seconds before impact seems a bit far fetched - to me.
Still seem far-fetched, Baston? This event could have happened in VMC and the aircraft have flown into IMC whilst the crew were attempting to handle it. They may even have been recovering from their own 'aileron' roll to arrive in a nose-high attitude with nearly full pedal at impact.

Perhaps 'John Purdey' would care to comment?