PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Control Input whilst landing
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 11:25
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an aside it can be frustrating to fly with a Captain who perhaps lacks confidence in you as a co-pilot and acts in a way that you perceive limits your ability to think and fly in the manner you are accustomed to. These guys exist in every airline.
This scribe was the instructor on the simulator panel when pilots from various foreign airlines were being assessed for command slots with a Japanese low cost operator. There were two check pilots from that airline giving instructions in limited English and standing behind the two pilots being tested. My job was to reposition the sim as needed and fail an engine when directed.

First requirement was a take off, and normal circuit and landing. The PNF in the RH seat was a chatterbox and obsessed with continual prompting, cajoling, and basically non-stop "helping" the PF all the way around the circuit. Such was his rate of gabble, the Japanese had no hope of understanding what he was saying. It must have driven his fellow countryman who was PF in the LH seat, around the bend. Both were eastern Europeans

The PF did a very long downwind leg and subsequently undershot to blazes while disregarding GPWS warnings of below glide slope. In short it was pretty lousy flying.

The two check pilots whose English as I said was extremely limited, said they thought the PNF had given excellent support and assessed his verbal diarrhoea as example of very good CRM.

Of course it was obvious they didn't understand one bloody word the PNF was on about, but the fact that he gesticulated freely and talked non-stop until touch-down, pleased them enormously. He won a command slot but didn't last too long. I suspect his yakking got on other crew members' nerves.