PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all EK pilots who have previously flown in the UK.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 08:06
saywhat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a single person (male) how did you find the relocation and settling in?
I'm not single, but relocation is simple enough, and settling in is dependent on the person. Nobody can answer this on your behalf.

How often is a return to the UK possible either through bidding (fleet dependant) or on days off and using staff travel?
This is dependent on many factors, but I am aware of a few pilots that commute quite often back to the UK. It is not easy, but it is possible. I must ask though, why would you want to come here if you want to commute back and forth frequently. This is one sure fire way of becoming one of the many truly unhappy pilots here in the middle east. If commuting is what you want to do then I would suggest an airline that caters for commuters. Understand that EK is not and most likely never will be a commuting airline.

How do UAE FTL's compare to UK CAA FTL's?
They are pretty similar actually, save for the interpretation thereof. In the UK FTL's are actually "limitations"., whereas here they are more like "targets". I do not mean this in a negative light, but understand before getting here that a pound of flesh is demanded, and a pound of flesh will be had.

Any areas for accommodation that you would recommend?
Once again this is personal preference. Remember though that if you opt for company accommodation, the choice is a very easy one, as it is made for you.

Are there money people that come and subsequently don't like it and then end up leaving having to pay a huge bond?
No. There are many talkers, but none really leave, mostly because they realize that like most sports fans, talking a good game and playing one are not the same. I would say that a person leaving EK would in all likelihood not find a position in the UK with the same position or pay.

Any regrets?
Yes, I regret not choosing the correct numbers in last weeks lottery.