PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all EK pilots who have previously flown in the UK.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 07:57
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll do my best.

As a single person (male) how did you find the relocation and settling in?
Depends what you are into. Singles can have a hell of party life, lot's of night-clubs and pretty girls around. People into sports and other activities can find it less satisfying. Summer isn't a great time for out-door activities.

How often is a return to the UK possible either through bidding (fleet dependant) or on days off and using staff travel?
You'd be able o get at least one UK trip most months-we fly there a lot!! Days off-occastionally, but we are working pretty hard right now. Being able to put enough days off in a row to do such a trip? MAYBE in the top couple of bid-months (it's a five month cycle).

How do UAE FTL's compare to UK CAA FTL's?
The regs are basically the same with the exception that time spent in the bunk as augmenting crew doesn't count towards the 900hr limit. This can push your ACTUAL annual flying up towards 1000hrs, and guys are flying those type of hours at the moment.

The difference in the APPLICATION of the regs is that EK isn't seasonal- think of a tough month in Summer in the UK and do twelve of them. We work hard.

Any areas for accommodation that you would recommend?
You don't really get a choice, but the single guys seem pretty happy with the accommodation they get.

Are there many people that come and subsequently don't like it and then end up leaving having to pay a huge bond?
Not many leave within the bond period, but certainly PLENTY don't seem to like it- just read PPRUNE!! Attrition is at around 3% and rising, but I think more from the Captain/longer term employee types. For many, living in the ME and flying for EK has a "use-by" date!!

Any regrets?
Me? No- But I came in DEC and it works for me and my family. As you'll no doubt find with subsequent posts, that doesn't go for everyone.

Hope that helps!!