PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest ever blunder in the history of the UK aircraft industry?
Old 20th Jan 2011, 13:36
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For K'nc really...

...I know someone who was heavily involved with the "hearts and minds" meetings about the ATP.
It was a Loganair captain who eventually raised the problem of the toilet ventilation system which seemed to be directed straight to the flight deck, "Within a few secs I can tell the fact that the first user of the bog had a vindaloo last night and I AM P&&SED OFF ABOUT IT. SORT IT OUT!!"
The "solution" was to let the bog contents be flushed all the way to the end of the tube which led to the emptying valve on the outside skin of the aircraft. Fine, until after a reasonably long cold soak at height when the techie plugged in the doms trolley at the destination the frozen contents wouldn't empty. Captain now has dilemma of next load of pax and a full bog. Still not happy!!
"OK" says the company, "we'll wind a heater wire around the tube which will keep the contents liquid. Job jobbed".
Well - not quite.
"You never mentioned a thermostat" said the company, when the complaints about the three foot long tube of almost boiling sh%t were logged.......
It would be laughable apart from the fact that that sequence of events actually happened.
I think it was perhaps because the company used a toilet of their own design rather than buying one that already was proven to work from someone else.
The same toilet was used in the Nimrod as well and was deeply unpopular for similar reasons.