PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 11:44
spacemantan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven’t posted in a while so I thought I’d comment on a recently posted rant

Just like anything in life, you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and jump through some pretty horrible hoops. Becoming a pilot in the ADF is no different and can be argued that the sacrifices are greater and the hoops much harder. And I’m only talking about the recruitment process... It gets harder once you are in.

The recruitment process isn't perfect. From recent experience on the inside of DFR I can tell you that there is scope for things to fall through the cracks despite a fairly good database system which includes a strong tracking tool for applicants. The problem ultimately is user error and in some extreme cases laziness. But as an applicant (and this goes for any job in the ADF) you have certain rights and privileges that unfortunately most of you are not aware of. If you feel you are being unfairly treated, your first point of call should be your "case manager", and then through the DFR chain until you reach the Senior Military recruitment officer. If after all that work you don't seem to get anywhere, then take your issues to your local MP and subsequently move up the chain to the Minister.

MINDEF generally does not like hearing stories from applicants being unfairly treated and will always come down hard on the recruitment team involved if there is any evidence of laziness or poor management. He has this power through the contract.

At this point I would like to emphasise that this is not useful if you've sat a test and had been denied a position. i.e. attending a YOU session and not making the grade for pilot. Unfortunately the testing process in DFR is fairly waterproof with a large backing in psychological theories.

I'd also like to emphasise a few points made previously along the leadership line. If you are the squeaky wheel, you will get the grease. It shows leadership and a commitment to the recruitment process. I won't say that subsequent training in the ADF is easier than going through DFR, but once you've made that hurdle, the psychological boost you receive makes a lot of other challenges in the immediate future, a lot easier to bear.

Don't give up, and don't lose hope! The rewards of an aviation career in the ADF far outweigh the relatively short amount of pain you could potentially experience in the recruitment process