PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged) II
Old 20th Jan 2011, 10:02
Octopussy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the question of charging to print a boarding pass, those of you who agree with Ryannair's approach have missed the crucial sentence:

She said Ryanair was subject to international, European and national air navigation laws which oblige airlines to issue tickets for passengers.

The Warsaw Convention obliges the carrier to deliver a passenger ticket specifying, inter alia, the place and date of issue and the place of departure and destination.

So Ryannair is under a duty (which it can't contract out of) to provide its passengers with a ticket. If they print their own, all well and good (yup, it's quick, convenient and what I do every time I fly), but if they don't, they are entitled to be provided with one by Ryannair at no extra charge.

The right to a contract of carriage (ticket) is a fundamental part of the way the law around international carriage of goods (and by extension, people) has developed (and has its origins in shipping law) -but I'll stop now, at the risk of boring you (.....too late? )